Our faculty-led program partners benefit from access to our professional staff, classroom facilities, student and faculty housing, organized study tours, extracurricular activities, emergency service, and more. We work with our partners to design flexible custom or semi-custom faculty-led programs and provide as much or as little hands-on assistance as required. Some faculty prefer to organize their own activities and courses for their students during their time abroad while others take advantage of standard FIE curricular offerings and extra- and co-curricular activities. FIE organizes social events for visiting faculty to meet other faculty members and FIE staff such as theater outings and dinners.
Visiting faculty members can be the most important component in the success of any study abroad program and in this regard, FIE actively supports visiting faculty in multiple ways.
- Help to identify appropriate academic courses and complementary activities for the foundation of the program
- Design and development of customized promotional material, as needed
- Pre-departure orientations or informational meetings conducted on your campus by FIE staff, as needed
- On-going communication with our US-based program development staff
FIE offers collaborative assistance every step of the way for visiting faculty or departments looking to build a faculty-led semester, quarter, or summer program abroad. Our expertise comes from 20 years of assisting universities and colleges in building successful faculty-led programs from the ground up. We consistently deliver high-quality programs and are always keen to tackle new interest areas.
CASE STUDY: STEM IN LONDON
In response to a growing need for STEM courses and activities for study abroad, FIE has collaborated with multiple universities and faculty members to create programs with a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Though some may think study abroad is only for the literature, politics, and theater majors, London provides students from any background the opportunity for the rich exploration of STEM themes.
Please see our STEM in London webpage for our STEM guide for visiting faculty and more information on how FIE can help you build a non-lab based STEM program in London.
- Comprehensive program administration in London and Dublin by FIE’s expert staff in Operations, Academics, Student Life, Experiential Education, Facilities Management, and Technology throughout the duration of the program
- Assistance in planning and executing co-curricular activities in the city
- FIE-arranged socials to meet other visiting faculty members and FIE staff
While on the ground, you can expect the same level of service from FIE staff. Our expert teams are on hand to provide visiting faculty (and their students) excellent pastoral and operational care. Classroom space, dedicated student and faculty housing, and an extensive calendar of extra-curricular activities are some of the benefits our faculty-led programs enjoy.
KEY CONSIDERATIONS AND INITIAL FIRST STEPS
We believe in true partnership between our organization and our institutional partners. FIE will work with you to design flexible custom or semi-custom programs, and provide as much or as little assistance as needed. We can work with your faculty leaders to provide the right level of assistance and customization they need, and we also offer social and networking events for visiting faculty during their time with us.
- Education Abroad Offices as Key Players – All programs will be designed in accordance with home university policies on credit transfer, financial aid, travel, and university oversight, ensuring the program meets your academic and policy standards
- Flexibility with Costs and Program Options – We recognize that cost is one of the most important considerations with customized programs. One of the many points of value FIE brings is to help find the best options through a continuous dialogue that work with your institution’s budget