FIE London offers internships in 13 areas, catering to almost every major and providing students with a wide variety of opportunities.
It is important to take the time to read about the areas which interest you so that you can understand what is – and is not – available. Each student should choose three of the areas from the list below and understand they may be placed in any of their three choices (though we always start with a student’s first choice!)
Ultimately, is the companies and organizations who choose which student they will offer a position to, but the three choices you select will be the basis of your Internship Mentor’s search for your placement. As the internship is coordinated on your behalf, it is important that you understand the reality of what you should expect from your placement.
The best piece of advice we can give you at this stage is to read these materials carefully. One of the most important indicators of success in the international internship is your preparation beforehand and your complete understanding of the reality of the journey you are embarking on.
Before selecting your industry choices on MyInternship, take the time to fully digest our Realities of Working in London page, including industry differences, education vs professional practice, company size and “brand name” companies, and learning objectives.
To summarize the key points on the pages above:
- Internships require flexibility, an open mind, a positive attitude, and a professional hardworking approach. You will be challenged in your London internship!
- Industries in the UK can be very different than in your home country and you should prepare for the fact that internship opportunities may be limited.
- You will most likely be placed with a small or medium sized organization. Most large companies do not offer internships for the short period of time you are in London.
- All positions are unpaid and entry level. You will be expected to complete a wide variety of tasks, from basic and administrative to more specialized and project-based.
- This is first and foremost a cultural experience. Interning in an international environment is an excellent learning opportunity to expand your cross-cultural skills.
- The success of your internship placement is what you make of it!
Selecting Your Three Industry Choices
You should select three industry areas of interest which coincide with:
- your major (and/or minor, if applicable)
- your previous work/internship experience(s)
- your desired future career path
Keep in mind you MUST select three different main industry choices. Sub-areas are not required, but if selected must come from the options presented here. Provided that you have the relevant skills and experience, we endeavor to place you in an internship that is as close to your original requests as possible. However, please keep in mind that while we will try to place you within your first choice area, we will utilize second and third choices if and when necessary, and will often use a combination of all three. Click here to see the instructions for selecting your three industry choices.
Additional requirements for certain choices
Certain industries require additional documentation:
- Students selecting Education, Psychology, Not-for-profits and the Legal and Justice areas must bring a valid police check with them to London
- Students selecting Politics must submit a political paragraph
- Students selecting Journalism must submit writing samples
- Students selecting Fashion Design, Graphic Design or Creative Arts must submit a portfolio
See our guide to Preparing Your Application for more information.
Internship Industry Areas
London Internship students can select from the following industries:
XX = Most Competitive Areas XX = Areas Where Significant Relevant Experience Is Required XX = Most Popular Areas
| Business & Entrepreneurship
|| Historical & Cultural Organizations
| Communications & Journalism
|| Technology & Design
|| Legal & Justice Organizations
| Environment & Sustainability
| Entertainment & Performing Arts
|| Public Health & Wellbeing
| Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle
|| Social Welfare & Non-Profit Organizations
| Finance & Accountancy
Please note that there are no internships available in science, math, engineering or the medical industries. However, students in these fields can still have valuable experiences in a London internship. Students in the medical field, for example, should consider public health environment and sustainability.
The general industry areas listed above are the industries in which we have successfully been able to place students. However, if you wish to intern within an area that is not listed, please email us. We are happy to let you know if your chosen option may be possible.
If you have any other questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact either your study abroad office or the FIE Experiential Education Team.