Are you interested in peace and conflict resolution, social justice, Middle East studies, or Arabic language?
FIE has partnered with AMIDEAST in Amman, Jordan to offer this unique program. Spend your summer in Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Jordan exploring the process of peace and the sensitive cultural and societal roots of conflict.
Your program begins in Dublin where you study peace and conflict theory using Northern Ireland as a case study. Your classroom experience is followed by a study tour to Northern Ireland to contextualize your course work.
Once in Amman, you will use your new understanding of peace and conflict to examine how the Arab/Israeli conflict; regional conflicts such as those in Lebanon, Yemen or Iraq; and tribal conflicts are being addressed.
Following the conclusion of the Conflict and the Struggle for Peace program, a student may opt to extend his/her stay in Amman and participate in the AMIDEAST Intensive Arabic Program which is a four-week program that includes Modern Standard and Colloquial Jordanian Arabic courses. Arabic courses are available at all levels of study. (Please note that beginning Arabic will run subject to minimum enrollment).
Find out about the evolution of this program from Dr. Paul Arthur, Program Director.
EXPLORE MORE ABOUT FIE'S PEACE & CONFLICT RESOLUTION SUMMER PROGRAM
THE STUDENT EXPERIENCE
The FIE Peace and Conflict program was a great cultural experience and an incredibly eye-opening opportunity. From the discussions with guest speakers to the insights provided by our teachers, Jordanian host families, and everyday conversations with new people, the program provided me with a new viewpoint that has fundamentally changed the way I look at International Affairs. You can attend lectures and study textbooks, but you can’t understand conflict and the ways in which it affects countries and their peoples until you listen to their thoughts, fears, and concerns. I hope anyone interested in the process of conflict resolution or the complicated dynamics of international affairs will strongly consider this program.
- Ryland Arnold, Summer 2016 Student, University of Arkansas
- Summer Conflict and the Struggle for Peace: Explorations in Ireland and the Middle East program only (4.5-weeks)
- Summer Conflict and the Struggle for Peace: Explorations in Ireland and the Middle East with Intensive Arabic Language (8-9 weeks)
- GPA: 2.75
- NOTE: Your home institution may require a higher GPA and other prerequisites
- If you attend an FIE partner institution, contact your study abroad advisor on campus for any additional requirements
CREDIT AND TRANSCRIPT INFORMATION
- Check with your study abroad advisor for course equivalencies, credit approval, and transcript information on your campu